I had to copy an important and large video from an old CD and ran in to errors wasting lot of time yesterday. I tried doing the copy through windows which took lot of time and ended abruptly with a 'Cyclic Redundancy Check Error'. Being a smart guy, I tried it the old DOS way. But still no luck! It also ended in same CRC error after taking lot of time.
Obviously, there is something wrong with my old cd data and part of it might be bad. But why should I loose all my data just because of few bad sectors? I kept wondering why the copy functionality in windows is not smart enough to ignore those damaged bytes and copy the rest of the file. Specially with video files, it won't hurt even if we miss few bytes here and there. I knew there will be others who think on the similar lines and googled for a solution. I got lots of links and info. I carefully selected an application and it did the trick for me magically.
The tool is 'Copy It Anyway'. And I got it from here. After installing it, all I had to do is give it the source and destination details and it did the rest. Copying was faster except for the sound alerts when it hit a bad byte. After copying the entire file, I played the video and to my surprise, I don't notice any issues with it except for few damaged frames. This tool was a life saver for me.
Do you have any experience like this? Do share your views by posting comments.
No comments:
Post a Comment